Johanne,

----- Original Message ----- From: ""Duhaime Johanne"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.myodbc
Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 10:12 PM
Subject: innodb, log_bin and ib_logfiles

------_=_NextPart_001_01C53ADC.86591B2F

I have looked  around in the documentation but  I do  not have a clear
idea of log_bin vs ib_lofile for innodb.
=20
Regarding only INNODB tables, am I right if I say that:=20
=20
log_bin are the commit transactions

yes. The binlog is used to roll-forward from a backup.

and it is what is use in an
automatic recovery or are to be apply in a manual recovery from a dump
(In Oracle they are the Redo.logs)  .=20
ib_logfiles are storing the uncommit and commit transactiond and allows
the rollback of transactions

No. ib_logfiles are a page-level 'physiological' redo log. Used in crash recovery.

(In Oracle they are the Rollback segments)?

Rollback segments in InnoDB are called 'undo logs'. They are in the ibdata files. They are used in rollback, and in 'consistent read' SELECT.

They are not use in the automatic recovery of innodb nor in a manual
recovery from a dump.
=20
I would appreciate very much if someone can clarify this for me.
=20
=20
Johanne Duhaime

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
Foreign keys, transactions, and row level locking for MySQL
InnoDB Hot Backup - a hot backup tool for InnoDB which also backs up MyISAM tables
http://www.innodb.com/order.php