great, so this is how the mailing list works...ahh...

On 4/13/05, Paul DuBois <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Possibilities:
>
> - option file is not one that is read by mysql
> - you didn't put the option in the [mysql] section
> - you included the leading dashes.
>
> If you invoke mysql with the --default-character-set=utf8 option on
> the command line, are the character_set_xxx variables set properly?

you are right, my bad, i place the --default-character-set=utf8 under
[mysqld], but not the [mysql], silly me..

thank you Paul, now that the mysql command line display all the
character_set_* in utf8.

But when php connects to mysql, (character_set_client, character_set_results,
character_set_connection ) will be set to latin1 somehow, i will still
have to issue SET NAMES 'utf8'; upon every connection to get the
desirable result, i guess that's a php problem afterall huh?

I guess I can live with the extra query, SET NAMES 'utf8';

:)