Hello.

I suggest you to switch to 4.1.11. In that version the value of

coercibility was changed for information functions. See:

  http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/charset-collate-tricky.html

Everything works for me on 4.1.11:

mysql> select * from mysql.db where db=database();

Empty set (0.00 sec)

mysql> show variables like '%coll%';

| Variable_name        | Value    |

| collation_connection | utf8_bin |