Is there a way to use dirty reads (that acquire no
read locks on the table) with MyISAM tables?

I want to avoid having the read requests queuing up
while the table is updated, and I can tolerate a small
margin of inconsistency for the sake of throughput.

So far I found only information about scheduling cues
(e.g. LOW_PRIORITY, DELAYED, etc) and using table
handlers, but even with these cue, you still have the
potential of queuing up reads or starving updates.

For example, in MS SQL Server, you can either give a
per-query lock hint or use a read-uncommitted
transaction isolation level.

MyISAM doesn't have a SET TRANSACTION READ UNCOMMITTED
equivalent to InnoDB, and the SELECT statement doesn't
have lock hints like (NOLOCK).

So is there a way to allow reads to go through when
the table is updated, or allow updates to proceed
without waiting for prending reads to finish up?

Thanks,

Homam