Dear MySQL List,

Is order important when issuing grant commands?

 Linux, Fedora Core 3
 MySQL server version: 4.1.11-standard, installed via RPM.
 perl DBI module installed from CPAN on top of this version.

I am trying to allow all privileges to a given user to a given
database from inside my local domain, but allow only select privileges
to the same user on the same database from outside that domain. If I
use the "bad" order (see below) of the grant commands, I get a
situation where the local user does not have insert privileges. The
user's name is user, the database name is calib and the domain is
domain.org.

Good order:

grant select on calib.* to user@"%";
grant all on calib.* to user@"%.domain.org";

Bad order:

grant all on calib.* to user@"%.domain.org";
grant select on calib.* to user@"%";

With the bad order, write privilege seems turned off. I get errors like

execute failed: INSERT command denied to user 'user'@'claspc2.domain.org' for table 'RunIndex'

from the perl DBI module. With the good order, the same script works!

In between invocations, I use the revoke command to wipe out this
user/db combo completely from the db table.

With both grant orders, the mysql.db tables looks the same, with the
Y's and N's exactly where I expect them, at least from the mysql
command line.

Any helpful hints? Derisive comments?

 - Mark