>MY PROBLEMS SO FAR
>All versions of MySQL I have tried so far have come in RPM format which I
>have rpm2targz to set up. Then I have
>gunzip/tar or tar xzf to unpack the archive. The archive unpacks in
>different folders to those that the scripts expect and
>this is a problem for a start. Also some files seem to be missing, in
>particular mysql.sock . In summary, I am not sure if this
>unpacking process is working correctly and maybe this explains my problems.

I've compiled several 3.23.36 on Slackware 7.1.0 without any problem at all.

I don't like RPM stuff.. always compile from source.

Missing mysql.sock is caused by settings in /etc/my.cnf (of the top of my
head). Or by rights issues (not correct user/group) or cause it's just not
running.

Nice tutor on www.devshed.com

Bye,

B.