Shawn,

>Even though the docs say that only 1 index is ever used per
>query, I believe that each JOIN can also make use of an index if it exists
>(this belief is based on the results of the EXPLAIN(s) of queries
>containing JOINed tables. However, I could be completely wrong in this
>belief.).

You appear to be right. A query with 2 self-joins on one table uses both indexes on the table:

EXPLAIN SELECT c.customerID, c1.customerID, c2.customerID
FROM customers c
INNER JOIN customers c1 ON c.customerID=c1.customerID
INNER JOIN customers c2 ON C.companyName=c2.companyName\G

           id: 1
  select_type: SIMPLE
        table: C2
         type: index
possible_keys: CompanyName
          key: CompanyName
           id: 1
  select_type: SIMPLE
        table: C
         type: ref
possible_keys: PRIMARY,CompanyName
          key: CompanyName
           id: 1
  select_type: SIMPLE
        table: C1
         type: eq_ref
possible_keys: PRIMARY
          key: PRIMARY

Perhaps the docs should say "one index per table or alias."

PB

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.