>...my question is what are the maximum
>sizes (in characters) of each of the BLOB / TEXT types,
    I assume the reason the sizes are not given in characters is that these
are binary fields - it's in bits because that's what relevant to binary
data.

>and why isn't that
>information on the manual page for BLOB / TEXT types.
    For that you'd have to ask MySQL.

As to why there's a "TINY" - again I'm assuming, but I'd expect if someone
has a lot of small binary data elements to store, they wouldn't necessarily
want to waste 1K, or 65K of disk space for each element.  Just because you
have no use for it doesn't mean others don't.  My experience with most DB
software is that it's driven by requirements, not whim.