David,

In reading through miscellaneous database design text on the web, I
read just the other day that you should not try to include meaningful
data in your key values.  I assume there will be some kind of "lookup"
tables for species, phylum, whatever.  Trying to make your key field
"smart" seems like way too much overhead and complexity.  I'm
wondering why, if the database is enormous, are you being so short and
cryptic with the "user-friendly" values?

my $.02
KB