Andy Pieters wrote:

Hi

Try to see in the log files

cat /var/log/mysqld

or start the mysql server and then type

tail /var/log/messages

On Fedora, once you have properly installed mysql there is no need to reboot your system to test it. Just type /sbin/service mysql start other options you can use there: stop restart

I have a MySql server on one of my machines that is running FC3 and I don't even have mysql_safe here. (Version 3.23.58)

Andy

Hi All,

that's just the problem. It won't start that way. I had already checked
the logs, but, it only seems to log things after starting, bringing me
back to zero position, a server that won't start this way. Cheers.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# /sbin/service mysql start
Can't execute ./bin/mysqld_safe                            [FAILED]