I have read the MySQL Cookbook and the last 6 months (or so) of threads
on this. I have a slightly different problem. I use a billing system
implemented in filemaker. Happily they are going a rewrite in MySQL/PHP,
but for the present I maintain a MySQL database so I can track things
otherwise not available using the product.

My problem: once a month or so I have a 1-2 hundred new records and
about as many updates. The total number of records is relative small,
less than 10,000. I extract about 15 fields. Adding new records is not
much of a problem. For the updated records the best I have been able to
think of is to put the old and newly extracted records in a table and
find the changed records based on keys in the data.

For the small number of records, this query takes a remarkable amount of
time, so clearly this solution does not scale.

Any references or thougths greatly appreciated.

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]