Hello,

Earlier today I tried to make some table alterations on a mysql server (4.0.24) and kept on receiving this error:

ERROR 2013: Lost connection to MySQL server during query

I would login to the server, either through the socket or using the IP. Then connect to a database and try the following:

CREATE INDEX hostdate ON syslog (machine,date1);

There are about 3 million rows .. about a minute or two into the command I would get disconnected. Sometimes I could log back but not others, I tried seaching google and the only answer I found was "This is fix the in the next release of 5.X.X".

This does not help as I am stuck with 4.0.X right now.

How can I fix this ?

Michael