Harald,

Perhaps the following excerpt from "perldoc DBD::mysql" is relevant
for you:

 mysql_read_default_file
 mysql_read_default_group
    These options can be used to read a config file
    like /etc/my.cnf or ~/.my.cnf. By default MySQL's
    C client library doesn't use any config files
    unlike the client programs (mysql, mysqladmin,
    ...) that do, but outside of the C client library.
    Thus you need to explicitly request reading a con­
    fig file, as in

        $dsn = "DBI:mysql:test;mysql_read_default_file=/home/joe/my.cnf";
        $dbh = DBI->connect($dsn, $user, $password)

Put "character_set_client = latin2" into your my.cnf ant tell Perl to
read it.

Hmmm... thank you, I have missed that! I guess that would solve my problem... I mean, almost: by giving this option to DBI, I substitute my current SET... command with DBI reading and parsing the config file, which, as the matter of fact, might be even more expensive than a single SET. (That is, if I do not use persistent connections.)

It would be nicer if DBD could read the config file during the "use phase" (for example in BEGIN { ... } ). But I guess I am getting a little to perl-ish now :-)

- Csongor