Does anyone else have any ideas about this topic?

Thanks

>>>Ed Reed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 04/23/05 1:29 pm >>>
Thanks for the reply,

I realize that user variables disappear when the connection closes but I don't
understand why what I'm trying to accomplish can't be done. Doesn't it make
since that if you can load a single file with multiple SQL commands and have
that work succesfully then you should be able to have a single call with
multple SQL commands work just as succesfully? Is there any way to do what I
asked in my original post?

Thanks again for the reply.

At 22:04 -0700 4/22/05, Ed Reed wrote:
>Thanks for the reply,
>
>So is there anyway to use User Variables with a single connection.
>All my apps are in VB6 and VBA. They all take a query, open a
>connection, run query, fill array from query results, close
>connection and pass back the array. Because of backward
>compatibility there's no way I can change them to do otherwise.

User variables disappear when the connection closes.

>Thanks again.

>Ed Reed wrote:
>
>>If I run the following in MySQLFront v3.1
>>
>>Set @A='Test';
>>Select @A;
>>
>>I get back same result
>>
>>+------+
>>| @A |
>>+------+
>>| Test |
>>+------+
>>
>>If I run the same query in MySQL Query Browser v1.1.6 I get this,
>>
>>ErrNo 1060, You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual
>>that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax
>>to use near ';
>>select @A' at line 1
>>
>>and If I run the same query in my application I get the same error
>>as the Query Browser.
>>
>>Anyone know how I can get my application to give me what I'm looking for?
>>

>The command line interface allows you to run multiple commands at once.
>The Query Browser and PHP interfaces allow only one query per function
>call. So mysql_query('SET @A; SELECT @A;') would fail. You need to run
>each query separately.
>
>This is certainly the case in your application, even if it's not PHP.
>
>If you ran the queries separately in the Query Browser, you wouldn't get
>the results you expect. It would forget the value of @A because it
>closes the connection each time. It's possible to keep the connection
>open by Starting a transaction (even if you're using MyISAM tables).
>
>Chris
>
>--

Paul DuBois, MySQL Documentation Team
Madison, Wisconsin, USA