[snip]
Don't be so hasty to criticise.  I took the original question to mean
"While I have an existing spreadsheet open in EXCEL, can I cause a
selected
row in a MySQL table to be updated?".  This is quite a different
question
than "How can I convert one sheet from an EXCEL file into a new MySQL
table?".  The later can easily be done several ways as you suggest, the
former cannot.  Can the former be done with ODBC?  I didn't find any
answers on google.
[/snip]

A. I was not being critical, the question was very open ended and
subject to multiple interpretations, including yours. I was hoping to
guide the OP to be able to ask a question with more specific information
about what he wanted to do.