Hello,

        I have the following table setup:

ID    hostname    facility    priority    date    message

ID is auto incrementing.

This is used to store all of the syslog messages, currently there are over 7 million:

The following query takes forever:
Select machine,count(*) from syslog WHERE date1 > (NOW() - INTERVAL 24 hour) AND message LIKE 'sshd%' GROUP BY machine;

I have created the following indexs but when I use Explain it says that the query has to search all the rows:

 datehostfacility              1   date1         A                352489
 datehostfacility              2   machine       A               1409956
 datehostfacility              3   facility      A               1409956

 datemesghost                  1   date1         A                640889
 datemesghost                  2   message(15)   A               7049783
 datemesghost                  3   machine       A               7049783
 datemesghost                  4   facility      A               7049783
 datemesghost                  5   priority      A               7049783

What would the proper index be ?

Michael