http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/silent-column-changes.html
mentions that "Columns that are part of a PRIMARY KEY are made NOT NULL even
if not declared that way. "

And http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/create-table.html tells me that "A
PRIMARY KEY is a unique KEY where all key columns must be defined as NOT
NULL. If they are not explicitly declared as NOT NULL, MySQL declares them
so implicitly (and silently). "

Why is this? I actually do need NULL values (they really are not equal to
'0', etc.), but also need this column as part of the PRIMARY key in an
InnoDB table...
It can't have anything to do with the 'uniqueness' of the data, since I can
have a lot of 'zero'-values in the column, as long as the combination of
columns in the PRIMARY key results in unique values.

Regards, Jigal.