The following are from the InnoDB configuration page:

# Set buffer pool size to 50-80% of your computer's memory,
# but make sure on Linux x86 total memory usage is < 2GB

*Warning:* On 32-bit GNU/Linux x86, you must be careful not to set memory usage too high. |
glibc| may allow the process heap to grow over thread stacks, which crashes your server.

Can someone please explain what this means. We have a 32bit Linux x86 server with 16gigs of
ram. Because it is 32bit and not 64bit we cant really make much use of all the ram. I am wondering
which values I can safely increase without crashing the server. Here are some of the parameters we are
using in our conf file:

thread_concurrency = 16

table_cache = 512

innodb_buffer_pool_size = 1000M
innodb_additional_mem_pool_size = 20M

innodb_log_file_size = 100M
innodb_log_buffer_size = 8M

From SHOW INNODB STATUS:

BUFFER POOL AND MEMORY
----------------------
Total memory allocated 462835472; in additional pool allocated 3569664
Buffer pool size   24576
Free buffers       0
Database pages     23956
Modified db pages  11531

Free buffers is 0.

Someone mentioned that because its a quad xeon each CPU would have 2gigs of ram to work with. Does this
mean that I can set the innodb buffer pool much higher ?

any feedback is welcome.
thanks.