OK, I am still confused. Let's run down the list of what's working and
what isn't:

a) In the ODBC manager, create a System DSN and click on the TEST
CONNECTION button. What happens?

b) In SigmaPlot, tell the software to use the connection you just created
and tested. What happens?

If we can't get the ODBC manager to connect, nothing else using that DSN
can possibly connect. The fact that your MySQL database is in a different
machine running a different OS is not important. What is important is that
you are using a user account to make your connection (a MySQL user
account, NOT an OS user account) that has privileges and that you can
connect to the server and authenticate with that account's credentials.

If for some reason there is a firewall between your XP machine and your
MySQL server, that can also cause a failure to connect. Can you ping the
server from your XP machine? Can you telnet from your XP machine to your
MySQL server on port 3660?  (You cannot create a normal telnet session
with a MySQL server. However, if you can see the version of the server
surrounded by several lines of gibberish, this telnet test was successful.
)

The reason I keep going back to ODBC is that I want to make absolutely
certain that this is not the weak link. If all ODBC tests are good then we
need to look at the connection between SigmaPlot and ODBC as the problem.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

"Berman, Mikhail" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 04/28/2005 11:59:27 AM:

> Hi,
>
> I do use Data Sources(ODBC) manager to create DSNs.
>
> Either User or System DSN failed to connect from SysPlot to UNIX
> databases, with the same error message "Cannot connect to data source"
>

> Sorry I was not precise in description, I have mentioned MS-Access
> vs. Excel only to raised a point that ODBC should work similarly
> with both tools, but it does not.
> I am aware of row limitation for Excel so my test are ran against
> the tables that are under Excel limitations
>
> Regards,
>
> Mikhail Berman

AM: