We've got a customer whose system has been experiencing corruption in their InnoDB tables. They have returned the system to us and after testing we've determined that the server has bad RAM.

This is the same system I had posted about in http://lists.mysql.com/mysql/180785

Memtest86+ v1.55 can run anywhere from 12-24 hours before it picks up any memory errors, so the problem with the memory (or memory subsystem) is very intermittent.

We have shipped this customer a replacement server and they have restored their database from a backup that was made with the InnoDB hot backup utility (ibbackup, 1.40).

They are now experiencing corruption in their database again on the new system.

My question is this: Is it possible that the backup made from the system with the failing RAM is itself corrupted somehow?

If there was a corrupt page in the tablespace, would it generate an error during the ibbackup run? Would the restore process be able to uncover an error within the backup? Or is it possible that a corrupted page could survive through the backup/restore process and not be uncovered until it was accessed on the new system?

thanks, baba

--

Baba Buehler - NetBotz, Inc. - <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>