But why doesn't this work then:
select name, tottid, distance, min(mintid) from loeb group by distance;
(tottid seems to be random)

mysql> explain select name, tottid, distance, min(mintid) from loeb group by
distance;
| table | type | possible_keys | key  | key_len | ref  | rows | Extra |
| loeb  | ALL  | NULL          | NULL |    NULL | NULL |   90 |       |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

// Chris