Jigal van Hemert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> Because the SQL standard says so.
>
>A true observation, but still no explanation or reason why ;-P
>MySQL doesn't follow the standard in every situation, so that's not an
>excuse... (no offense!)
>There must be a good reason other than "because our ancestors always did it
>this way".

Let's look at it from a pure logic point of view.  Given the table:

create table a (
   b int not null,
   c int null
   primary_key(b,c)
);

With values:
        1       null
        1       null

Logically these are unique records under the standard proviso that
null != null.  Yet how could I uniquely identify the first row to delete
that row?
             Brad Eacker ([EMAIL PROTECTED])