Hello.

> Question 1: How do I check my syntax against the version and distribution
> that I am

>  running?

In manual it is usually said which features are available as of which

version. Use the special form of comments to adopt your queries to

corresponding version. See:

  http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/comments.html

In your case CHARSET is not supported because you run 4.0.23 version.

>  Question 2: I thought on update was a reference definition and required a

>reference to a  parent table and I did think CURRENT_STAMP was a reference
>action?

You're right, both statements don't work at 4.0.24 and 5.0.4-beta.

          "Jacob, Raymond A Jr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

       <___/   www.mysql.com