Hassan Schroeder wrote:

Mark Sargent wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] bluefish-1.0]# mysql -h localhost -u root -pwhatafraka
ERROR 1251: Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client

What is this..? Why is it asking me to upgrade the client.? Cheers.

master/client are the same machine. I installed via tar.gz, ver 4.1 following this page

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/installing-binary.html

for installation on FC3. Why would it say that the client doesn't support it.?

Because you almost certainly have an existing, older version of
MySQL already installed with FC3, and it's first in your path; try:

prompt# which mysql

:: and see if it's the 4.1 version you installed. I'll bet it's not :-)

If so, remove it or set your PATH appropriately.

HTH,

Hi All,

hmmmm, that is annoying, as I did a yum remove mysql b4 installing 4.1. Shouldn't the yum remove, remove it fully..? Rather redundant if it doesnt, eh. Cheers.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# mysql -p
Enter password:
Your MySQL connection id is 5 to server version: 4.1.11-standard

mysql>

and, if it's the older 1, why does it state ver 4.1.11-standard, if it's the original..? Which showed that mysql is also at /usr/bin/mysql, the older, I guess, that you alluded to, so, when typing mysql -p it is using the older client to connect to ver 4.1.11-standard which is at /usr/local/mysql, yes..? Sorry, I'm still rather a newb at Linux also. Cheers, again.

Mark Sargent.