So here's my situation: we have a database that has a table of about 5
million rows. To put a new row into the table, I do an INSERT ...
SELECT, pulling data from one row in the table to seed the data for
the new row. When there are no active connections to the DB other than
the one making the INSERT, it runs like a charm. But during normal
daytime operation, when we run around 50 connections (most sleeping at
any one time), it takes up to two minutes to do, and ends up locking
any other inserts or updates against that table for the entire time.

I'll get into more specifics if they're required, but I wanted to ask
in general if MySQL has tools to diagnose this, or if anyone has had
general situations like this. In SQL Server (which is where I have
most of my experience) I could use the trace tool and the Query
Analyzer to tell what the execution plan for the query was and thus
what's stalling it (an index gone bad, a weird locking situation,
etc).

We're running MySQL 4.11 on a machine with 2GB memory, the table is
InnoDB with a compound primary key, and additional indexes on all rows
with searchable options in the API. Any generic advice or admin tools
would be great.....

-- Joe