I am not sure about max - but I am running mysql.exe (I think it is the same
as mysqld-nt).

No - when I do a select * from on a table in the moved database - I get the
error that the table does not exist.

well - how can i tell if i have disabled symlinks???

I have not checked using 4.1.11.

Thanks,
Anoop