When I installed MySQL-server version 5.0.4 on my Fedora Core 3 system (Linux x86, using RPMs from MySQL.com) with SELinux running in enforcing mode, the server failed to start, possibly due to denials from the SELinux implementation.

'restorecon -R -v /var/lib/mysql' failed to let the server start.
'restorecon -R -v /usr/lib/mysql' failed to let the server start.
'restorecon -v /usr/sbin/mysqld' failed to let the server start.

I then disabled SELinux just for the mysqld application. However MySQL 5's server won't start.

I located the error log and it has this message:

[ERROR] Fatal error: Can't open and lock privilege tables: Table 'mysql.host' doesn't exist

How can I fix this problem? Should I uninstall MySQL (with 'rpm -e') and reinstall it? This should work if I disabled SELinux for mysqld?

Thanks for your help

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA