Can you see the slave thread on the master when you do a show processlist
from the master?

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Ivey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2005 1:48 PM
To: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Slave stuck at "registering"

I'm trying to set up replication over the Internet -- something
I've done successfully many times before.  But this time I'm
having problems I haven't run into before, and I'm wondering if
they're related to firewall settings or network problems or just
something I'm overlooking.

For the slave, I'm using the same settings that I used
successfully for another slave of the same master at a different
location.  The relevant section of my.cnf looks like this:

    master-host     = [the master hostname]
    master-user     = [username]
    master-password = [password]
    server-id       = 47
    report-host     = [the slave hostname]
    slave_compressed_protocol = 1
    read-only

When I start the slave I get the proper "connected to master ...
replication started in log 'FIRST' at position 4" message in the
slave error log.  In SHOW SLAVE STATUS I see "Connecting to
master" briefly and then "Registering slave on master".  It
stays in the "Registering" state for about 500 seconds, after
which the I/O thread stops and I get "Error on
COM_REGISTER_SLAVE: 2013 'Lost connection to MySQL server during
query'" in the error log.

In the error log on the master I get "Aborted connection 114025
to db: 'unconnected' user: '[username]' host: `[slave IP]' (Got
an error reading communication packets)".

If I use the mysql command-line client on the slave, I can
connect fine to the master, and vice versa.  Also, PHP and Perl
programs on the slave use databases on the master with no
problems.  What would replication require that the normal
client-server communication doesn't?

The master is running 4.0.22 on FreeBSD and the slave is running
4.0.24 on Linux.

Any suggestions?

--
Keith Ivey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>