Mark Sargent wrote:

... but, my real query, now, is, why the configs/my.cnf were different,

Because there isn't any /etc/my.cnf created on your system by default; you are responsible for creating one if needed, using the examples in the ./support-files subdirectory.

Obviously the /etc/my.cnf on your system was detritus from the
with the new.

Hence my original suggestion to remove all traces of the old
MySQL installation before starting fresh :-)

> along with the coding being wrong in the mysql_install_db
script, which I had to move to /usr/local/mysql from the scripts dir to get it to run without errors.

Extract from the INSTALL-BINARY file in the 4.1.11-standard dist:

 The basic commands you must execute to install and use a MySQL binary
 distribution are:

     shell> groupadd mysql
     shell> useradd -g mysql mysql
     shell> cd /usr/local
     shell> gunzip < /PATH/TO/MYSQL-VERSION-OS.tar.gz | tar xvf -
     shell> ln -s FULL-PATH-TO-MYSQL-VERSION-OS mysql
     shell> cd mysql
     shell> scripts/mysql_install_db --user=mysql

Note that you are directed to run the script from the MySQL *base*
install directory -- it sounds like you were trying to run it from
./scripts, which makes a big difference in the interpretation of the
'current working directory' :-)

HTH!
--
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- [EMAIL PROTECTED]