At 12:49 30/4/2001 -0400, Rhasaun Campbell wrote:
Hi!
To install and start up MySQL is easy and fast on Win2000,
below you see the commands I had, before the setup:

Microsoft Windows 2000 [Versão 5.00.2195]
(C) Copyright 1985-1999 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>cd\mysql\bin

C:\mysql\bin>mysqld-nt --install

C:\mysql\bin>net start mysql

O serviço de MySql foi iniciado com êxito.

C:\mysql\bin>mysql test
Your MySQL connection id is 1 to server version: 3.23.36

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer

mysql>

You see the message of the service start in Portuguese, because
my Win2k Server version is Portuguese.

After this, every machine boot the service is started automatic.
Notice also that you need to login with administrator rights
to set a service on NT/Win2k machines.

Take a look in the Manual at \mysql\docs

The setup and start I did ~ 2 min.

Regards,
Miguel

>Ok I tried both of your suggestions but no dice. I actuall failed to mention
>that once I got into the bin i tired to start the service by typing
>mysld--standalone, but it returned an error stating:
>
>mysqld--standalone is not recognized as an internal or external command,
>operable program or batch file...
>
>so I physically went to the bin and looked at files where there, I saw
>mysql.exe to I tired to start mysql server that way but i got another error
>stating "Can't connect to MySQL server on'localhost' <10061>
>
>Basically I know my problem lies in starting the service, because i tried
>pinging localhost 3306 and it timed out, So do you have any other
>suggestions?
>
>ohh btw I just picked up a book PHP fast and easy web development by Julie C
>Melonie, and with it came a CD-Rom with mysql-shareware-3_22_34-win.exe, I
>checked the site and saw that they had newer versions of MySQL out, so maybe
>that is my problem.... thanks for your help already anymore will be greatly
>appreciated

   /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /   http://www.mysql.com/
  / /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__  Miguel Solórzano <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
/_/  /_/\_, /___/\___\_\___/  São Paulo, Brazil
        <___/                  Development Team