Mike Rykowski wrote:
Hello,

I have a query:

select * from table where del != "1";

Let's assume that I have a record where del is null (del is a single
character field).

In version 3.23.22-beta I get the record returned with the above query,
in version 4.1.10a I get nothing returned.

Did something change between these versions or is this a bug?  I
couldn't find anything specific to this on the archives.

TIA

You should get nothing returned. NULL is not a value, so it cannot be equal, *or not equal*, to anything. The result of NULL != 1 is NULL. NULL is not TRUE, so no rows where del is NULL should be returned. If 3.23.222-beta returned such rows, it was a bug in that ancient version which has since been fixed.

If you want rows where del is null, you need to

  SELECT * FROM table WHERE del IS NULL;

Michael