Hello.

> Is this a known issue?

It is interesting for me. According to the:

  http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/charset-metadata.html

MySQL stores usernames in utf8. Yes, you should convert your

tables to utf8, however, in my opinion, you don't have to do

this with 'mysql' database. Could you lose the characters from the

users' names due to other reasons (wrong character set for your client

application)?

       <___/   www.mysql.com