Hi!

Does anybody have any thoughts regarding large result sets that should be
sent to a client using http or similar stateless protocol. I have a
situation where I need to be able to return a large result set and where I
know that either the client or possible the server may fail due to resource
limitations, out of memory etc.

The result set will be fetched from a database, Java objects will be created
in a collection, the collection will be returned through a network to a
client. This collection may be to large so either the server or the client
will fail. I can limit the number of values returned, but how should the
problem be handled when all values must be returned?

My thought is something along the lines of this:
1 If the result set is to large, chunk it into smaller parts. Return a
object to the client with the collection and a info part containing the
total number of values, the chunk size and next row number.
2 The client request next chunk of data from next row number.
3 Repeat step 2 until the client stops requesting data, i.e. has received
all data wanted.

I assume that somebody has solved this issue and in hoping the he or she
even want to share the conceptual idea with the rest of us.

Since this is of topic, please consider replying only to me.

/Thomas