Hello List,

I have a new test Linux server with Mandrake 10.1 installed that I was trying
to install MySQL version 4.1.12 on today.

Once I had installed the software, whenever I tried to start MySQL on this
server I was getting the error message "[ERROR] Fatal error: Can't open
privilege tables: Table 'mysql.host' doesn't exist" when I tried to run the
'mysql_setpermissions' script and was getting the same result.

After this failed I decided to try the MySQL installation files that came
with the operating system which were Version 4.0.20 and this version worked
fine.

When I was installing the 4.1.12 version I was simply going with a minimal
install of just the server package and the clients. When I ran the
installation package from Mandrake it installed other files that from my
reading of the MySQL manual I did not think that I needed.

My questions are: Is there other files besides just the server and the client
that I would need to install to get MySQL to work on Mandrake v10.1?

Are there other issues with 4.1.12 that I have not fully explored that might
prevent this from being installed?

Finally if I upgraded this system to 4.1.12 now that 4.0.20 is installed
would I wind up having the same problems?

Thank you

Eric H. Lommatsch
Programmer
MICRONix, Inc.