Hi,

I am now using the following:

mysql -u root -p dbname < backupname.sql

And getting:

ERROR 1064 at line 20: You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1' at line 7

The mySQL version is: 4.0.22

And yes I can login to the mySQL command line with the root password.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Can you sign -in as root user i.e. Administrator? Using:
mysql -u username -p password?

Dwayne Hottinger wrote:

That is correct. The password for mysql root is probably not the same as the
system root.

ddh

Quoting Adrian Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Hello,

I need to restore a mySQL dump file but cannot find the right syntax.

I have root access and have used:

mysql -u root -p account_databasename < backupname

But I am getting: Access denied for user '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password:
YES)

I have also removed the root password and got: Access denied for user
'[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password: No)

What is the correct syntax please?

Also, can I create a new database and restore the dump file to it or do I
need to use the same database name as before?

Thank you very much indeed.

Best regards.

Dwayne Hottinger
Network Administrator
Harrisonburg City Public Schools

-- Kind Regards Schalk Neethling Web Developer.Designer.Programmer.President Volume4.Business.Solution.Developers emotionalize.conceptualize.visualize.realize Landlines Tel: +27125468436 Fax: +27125468436 Web email:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Global: www.volume4.com Messenger Yahoo!: v_olume4 AOL: v0lume4 MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

We support OpenSource
Get Firefox!- The browser reloaded - http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

This message contains information that is considered to be sensitive or confidential and may not be forwarded or disclosed to any other party without the permission of the sender. If you received this message in error, please notify me immediately so that I can correct and delete the original email. Thank you.