Hi,
I am new to the list and mysql for that matter.  I am trying to
configure a centralized syslog server using mysql, msyslog and php.
Works great until the DB grows to about 2GB.  After the database gets
over 2GB, running queries on a particular hostname (that has a lot of
records) takes a long time and drains memory to the point I have to
reboot the system.  Here is the status after a single large query is
ran:

 total       used       free     shared    buffers
cached
Mem:       3889616    3871504      18112          0      21336
3654652
-/+ buffers/cache:     195516    3694100
Swap:      4194232          0    4194232

Here is a copy of my.cnf:

[mysqld]
datadir=/data
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
skip-locking
set-variable    = key_buffer_size=384M
set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=1M
set-variable    = table_cache=512
set-variable    = sort_buffer=2M
set-variable    = record_buffer=2M
set-variable    = thread_cache=8
set-variable    = read_rnd_buffer_size=2M
# Try number of CPU's*2 for thread_concurrency
set-variable    = thread_concurrency=8
set-variable    = myisam_sort_buffer_size=64M
log-bin
server-id       = 1

[mysql.server]
user=mysql
basedir=/var/lib

[safe_mysqld]
err-log=/var/log/mysqld.log
pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

[mysqldump]
quick
set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=16M

[mysql]
no-auto-rehash
# Remove the next comment character if you are not familiar with SQL
#safe-updates

[isamchk]
set-variable    = key_buffer=256M
set-variable    = sort_buffer=256M
set-variable    = read_buffer=2M
set-variable    = write_buffer=2M

[myisamchk]
set-variable    = key_buffer=256M
set-variable    = sort_buffer=256M
set-variable    = read_buffer=2M
set-variable    = write_buffer=2M

[mysqlhotcopy]
interactive-timeout

Any thoughts as to what I am missing? Thanks for any information!

Kind Regards,

Jennifer Fountain
Systems Administrator/Security
R&B Distribution