<blip>

>I agree, especially with the additional information the OP provided about
>his REAL table structure. A separate groups table makes better sense.
>
>Let this be an object lesson to others looking for assistance: If you want
>timely and useful assistance, provide real and complete information
>whenever possible. SHOW CREATE TABLE gives much better information than
>DESCRIBE or SHOW COLUMNS. If you do chose to obfuscate your real table and
>data layout then be prepared to translate whatever advice you receive.

Eeep! I often try to simplify my problem to the bare bones before asking a
question, as it is often quite tricky to work out what you "really want to
do (tm)" and put it in its simplest form - also I often find that doing
this gives me the answer, and I can just delete my email before I ever
send it!

>Sorry it took so long to get to the bottom of this design issue.

Now to work out what I "really want to do" ;) - I will look over the
answers and see if I am any closer...

Thanks all for the help.