Kevin Burton wrote:

> I'm curious what people here think of compiling mysql with gcc 4.0...
> Especially on Opteron.
>
> I've heard that the way to go with Opteron is to use gcc-3.4 but that
> its a little unstable.
>
> Of course it might be too early to find out if gcc 4.0 is better than
> 3.4...
>
> Kevin

I don't know how Opteron support is in gcc-4.0, but for most other
processors, the best option by far is to use a more stable version such
as 3.4 or 3.3.

I'm running the stable branch of Gentoo on our server, and it's using
gcc-3.3.5. On our desktops, I run the unstable branch of Gentoo, and
they're using gcc-3.4.3. Unless there are some *major* issues in
previous versions of gcc, I would choose one of them over 4.0 at the
moment. 4.0 is an initial release, and a major rewrite. Many bugs will
have been introduced during the rewrite. As for performance, I've read a
number of forum posts saying that 4.0 is currently no better ( on
average ... better in some cases, worse in others ) than 3.4.3. This
will improve with further releases - there is apparently a lot of
potential - but for now I would only use 4.0 on development machines. In
fact, if you are interested in getting MySQL compiled with gcc-4.0,
perhaps you should do a Gentoo install using gcc-4.0 and pave the way
for the rest of us :)

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer