Dear there,

After install mysql 4.1.12 by using rpm, I have some problems to restart server
after shutting down it. When I use "mysqld_safe" try to restart, it give me
error as follws:

Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
STOPPING server from pid file /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
050525 18:08:04  mysqld ended

Then, I notice in /var/run directory, there is no directory called mysqld. And
I also not familiar with mysqld.pid file.

But when I use /etc/init.d/mysql start, the server can restart again. So,
what's wrong? Maybe the path /var/run/mysqld is not right?

Another quesion is when I use " SELECT Host, User FROM mysql.user;" command in
mysql, it give me error: ERROR 1046 (3D000): No database selected.  what is
"mysql.user" database? Is it created automatically after start mysql first
time?

I just beginner of mysql. Please help!

Thanks a lot!
ying