Hi,

I am running a MySQL server on a nice machine (dual pIII 1gHz/1g ram), with
RedHat 7.0.  Currently, I am using the rpm version of mysql, which is
3.23.37.

Our database is large, and getting larger, with several tables approaching
the 1gig mark.  In addition, the database will be moving to a dedicated node
on a beowulf cluster.  This node is compareable to the machine described
above.

For our users, we are not particulary interested in squeezing every last
drop of performance out of MySQL, but I would be interested to know if there
are obvious things that I should do to optimize our performace.

For example, compiling my own mysql with certain flags, or perhaps startup
options, etc.

I searched the usenet and mysql site, and found some information but would
like to hear some experienced advice before I jump in with both feet.

Thanks!
Bryan