On 5/29/05, Philip George wrote:
>> On 5/29/05, Jochem van Dieten wrote:
>>> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/group-by-modifiers.html
>>
>> already read that.  the join in my example is more complicated than
>> anything depicted on that page.
>>
>> please explain.
>
> actually i should say that there are no examples of SUM() or AVG() --
> or any of the other GROUP BY functions -- that are used with a join on
> that page.

You can't always solve your problems by following an example.
Sometimes you have to recognize the patterns, apply your own knowledge
and extend the examples. The MySQL documentation, with its focus on
examples instead of formal definitions, isn't the easiest for that, so
I would strongly suggest learning SQL from a source that pays more
attention to formal definitions.

Jochem