Tried that, but to no avail.  I'm running Mysql 5.0.4 and PHP 5.0.4,
and was hoping it is a bug in one of these, but I don't think so...

I can run the query as I said from the command line, but in PHP, I get
a real_connect_error, immediately after executing the query...

that is...the windows service shuts down at the completion of the
query and needs to be manually restarted...(the service crashing, is
what causes the real_connect_error)...