On Sat, 2005-05-07 at 08:18, Greg Whalin wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> As for reporting bugs ...
> http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=7437
> http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=10437
>
> We have found Opteron w/ Mysql to be an extremely buggy platform,
> especially under linux 2.6, but granted, we are running Fedora.  Perhaps
> we will try Suse, but I feel I have heard similar reports (from
> Friendster) about their use of Suse 2.6 and Opterons being similarly slow.

Well, if I'm not mistaken Friendster had been running into some bugs
with Linux kernel but it was not directly Opteron related.

> We are currently running MyIsam tables, but plan on switching to Innodb
> in the next month or two btw, so our performance problems are w/ MyIsam.

Do you still have the problem ?

I've seen you're using FC1 which is rather old.  I have not heard about
much of success of this version with Opteron.

also did you run mysql-test on your MySQL  server ?  Does it pass at all
? If it does not  it is just likely your build is broken or incompatible
with your system.

There are unfortunately two problems which affect both self compiler
binaries and  out binaries.  Self compiled binaries could be affected by
GLIBC bugs and compiler bugs which we've seen a lot when platform just
appeared.    Our static RPM may however have other problem -  Opteron
distributions  are not 100% binary compatible for statically linked
binaries and ie binary compiled on SuSE SLES is known to crash on RH AS
in some cases.

We have great adoption of opteron platform among our customers with
great success rate, so I'm quite surprised by extent of problems you're
having.

--
Peter Zaitsev, Senior Performance Engineer
MySQL AB, www.mysql.com