Digvijoy Chatterjee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 01/06/2005
17:13:25:

> Hello all,
> My question  is if unix Epoch time started on January 1st 1970 ,and
> mysql uses
> the same implementation of time , what is the logic mysql developers
have
> used to offset it by 30 odd years that is the max date for mysql is 2068
and
> not 2038 18th January, i work in a Financial services firm where its
> important to calculate mortgages beyond 2038 , Linux and Windows are
caught
> in trouble ,rather my more general question is what effect does The
Y-2038
> bug have on MySQL
>
> Any sort of pointers will help

You should be using the DATETIME column thpe for this sort of calculation,
not the timestamp. DATETIME has a supppported range from 1000AD to 9999AD,
which should be enough for your purposes. TIMESTAMP is, as its name
applied, mostly used for timestamping records at create time. It should
not generally be used for extensive chronological calculations. TIMESTAMP
almost always point to the past. MySQL wil therefore have to take some
action before about 2060 (to allow users a few years to upgrade). The
obvious thing would be to implement a 64-bit LONGTIMESTAMP. This will
become easier in a few years when 64-bit OSs become mor the norm.

Alec