I'd love to get some feedback here:

MySQL currently falls down by not providing a solution to transparent MySQL load
balancing. There are some hardware solutions but these are expensive and
difficult to configure. Also none of them provide any information about the
current state of your MySQL configuration. For example they can't handle
transparent query failover if a MySQL box fails. They also can't disconnect and
reconnect to another host if the load grows too high.

To that end I think it makes a lot of sense to have a MySQL client-side load
balancer.

This area is difficult to implement. There are a log of design issues. Also the
issues WRT distributed connection management start to make the problem
difficult.

The other day I had a bit of an epiphany on this topic.

http://peerfear.typepad.com/blog/2005/06/design_of_a_cli.html

--

Use Rojo (RSS/Atom aggregator)! - visit http://rojo.com. See irc.freenode.net #rojo if you want to chat.