Hi all,

Over the last couple of days, a MySQL 4.0.21 server of ours has crashed
a couple of times, with the error message listed below. It has
previously been running without problems since being installed (about
150 days so far).

I've not had much luck in tracking down what "signal 6" means - the
references I can find on the 'net seem to be from people running MySQL
on a *BSD machine, while ours is on a RHEL3 server.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction to track down what
this might be? The server has 10GB of RAM, and MySQL has been compiled
with -fomit-frame-pointer. I can re-compile MySQL without this option if
it's absolutely necessary.

Thanks,

050602 17:18:47 Out of memory;  Check if mysqld or some other process
uses all available memory. If not you may have to use 'ulimit' to allow
mysqld to use more memory or you can add more swap space
mysqld got signal 6;
This could be because you hit a bug. It is also possible that this
binary
or one of the libraries it was linked against is corrupt, improperly
built,
or misconfigured. This error can also be caused by malfunctioning
hardware.
We will try our best to scrape up some info that will hopefully help
diagnose
the problem, but since we have already crashed, something is definitely
wrong
and this may fail.

key_buffer_size=8388608
read_buffer_size=2093056
max_used_connections=235
max_connections=800
threads_connected=190
It is possible that mysqld could use up to
key_buffer_size + (read_buffer_size + sort_buffer_size)*max_connections
= 3281785 K
bytes of memory
Hope that's ok; if not, decrease some variables in the equation.

thd=0xc271010
Attempting backtrace. You can use the following information to find out
where mysqld died. If you see no messages after this, something went
terribly wrong...
frame pointer (ebp) is NULL, did you compile with
-fomit-frame-pointer? Aborting backtrace!
Trying to get some variables.
Some pointers may be invalid and cause the dump to abort...
thd->query at 0x1a70a218  is invalid pointer
thd->thread_id=1642298
The manual page at http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Crashing.html contains
information that should help you find out what is causing the crash.
Fatal signal 11 while backtracing

--
Andrew Hill
Software Developer