        This happens whether launching mysqld directly or safe_mysqld. Following
        the instructions carefully (with the & backgrounder at the end), I get:

                /usr/local/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections

        but the prompt does not return. If you then hit ENTER on your keyboard,
        it begins to beep uncontrollably (using Win2K Telnet). Quitting ALL appli-
        cations doesn't even fix it, and Restart will not work. I'm forced to
        power down my PC or else annoy everyone else in the entire building!

        Perhaps the daemon isn't backgrounding properly.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
        Unknown. I'm hoping it doesn't present problems when I put it into
        my startup script.

>Submitter-Id:  <submitter ID>
>Originator:    Dave Kitabjian
>MySQL support: none
>Synopsis:
>Severity:      unknown
>Category:      mysql
>Class:         sw-bug
>Release:       mysql-3.22.27 (Source distribution)

>Environment:

System: FreeBSD ldap1.netcarrier.net 3.5-STABLE FreeBSD 3.5-STABLE #0: Thu Jul  6
13:30:20 EDT 2000     [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/src/sys/compile/LB1  i386

Some paths:  /usr/bin/perl /usr/bin/make /usr/bin/gcc /usr/bin/cc
GCC: gcc version 2.7.2.3
Compilation info: CC='gcc'  CFLAGS=''  CXX='gcc'  CXXFLAGS=''  LDFLAGS=''
Configure command: ./configure  --with-unix-socket-path=/var/tmp/mysql.sock
--with-low-memory --with-mit-threads=yes
Perl: This is perl, version 5.005_03 built for i386-freebsd