Hi,

I have tried to simply the problem and it exists without any JOINs.

have you given the query ?

SELECT id FROM stuff ORDER BY stuffed_date DESC LIMIT 180000, 10 -> .43 sec

SELECT id FROM stuff ORDER BY stuffed_date DESC LIMIT 0, 10 -> .0007 sec

have you described your tables ?

stuffed_date is INDEXed

have your given the size of each table ?

The table is about 200k rows.

have you list the indexes ?

stuff table has several indices, including 'id' and 'stuffed_date'.

have you specify the storage type ?

MYISAM

In your followup message, you mention reverse sorting the query. I imagine on the application side I would need to reverse sort again to get the correct order. Are there any other ways to speed up such a query? Thanks.