On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 04:41:16PM -0700, sol beach wrote:
> IMO, you have much more a lively imagination than realistic, in depth
> & technical knowlege in either MYSQL or Oracle.
> Current production MYSQL does NOT have stored procedures.

Current production mysql doesn't, but current development does (5.02).

Given that this is something that is coming online about 6 months down the fly,
and is a direction that we are thinking about moving, and given how much
that such an effort would save you - and given the fact that all the data
in question is being backed up in an oracle database, as far as I can see,
the risk is minor and the rewards major.

All it really has to do is keep data for a minor interval (say, a day). Then
it can be synced with the oracle database in a batch job.

I say its worth a shot. If its not doable now, its perhaps doable in 6 months.
And some people agree with me apparently:

    http://www.convert-in.com/ora2sql.htm

which I was thinking about reverse engineering to an extent as a starting point.

Thanks for the vote of confidence btw, and the elegent, almost statesman-way
that you expressed it..

But seriously, why the testy response? Are you affiliated in any way with
oracle?
Isn't the whole point of mysql to ultimately provide a RDBMS that can be used
instead of DB2 or Oracle anyways?

And does anybody have helpful, real, experience along these lines that they'd
like to share rather than just opinions?

Ed