There is an option starting in 4.0.14 called read-only that will allow only the slave i/o thread and users with the super priv to execute write queries.

Jeremiah Gowdy wrote:

Is there a way to make MySQL Slaves read only in regards to all UPDATE, INSERT,
DELETE, DROP, TRUNCATE, etc, except for the replication thread?  I know you can
just change the user accounts to disallow write access to the tables, but I'm
thinking it would be convenient to simply have a switch that restricts all
non-replicated writes to ensure that the slave stays consistent with the
master.  I've had a few users with administrator accounts mistakenly write to
slaves, screwing up replication.

Anyone else think this might be useful?  If so, I might just implement it if it
isn't implemented already.

Jeremiah Gowdy
Senior Software Engineer
FreedomVOICE Systems